- Home Page
- Other Sports
- Balls of Fame
- Tip Us Off
Top 10 facts about tonight’s opponents Oman.
- Oman is approximately 3.5 times the size of Ireland. That mean you could fit 41 Corks or 195 Leitrims into Oman.
- Oman is an absolute monarchy with the Sultan of Oman holding almost all the power. The Parliament only has a small amount of authority. This is sort of like the relationship Ireland had with the church for many years.
- The country got its name from the two Ballymena folk who discovered it – they thought they were in India and O-man were their first words when hearing the bad news*
- Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi is their only European based player. He’s like their Shay Given expcept he’s not retired like our Shay Given.
- Oman is ranked at no. 93 in FIFA’s world rankings. However, as Brazil are currently ranked at no. 12 these rankings are absurd.
- They have never qualified for a world cup and have only payed in two Asian Cups, 2004 and 2007.
- The capital of Oman is Muscat. It was named after former Wolves football Kevin Muscat who is a national hero in the country.*
- Oman won the 2009 Gulf Cup of Nations, which is a lot more than Ireland have won lately, unless you count the Carling Nations Cup.
- The population of Oman is 2.8 million. 2.7 million of these are better at football than Paul McShane.
- The national dress of Oman is an ankle-length, collarless gown with long sleeves called a dishdasha. It was first introduced to the country when Jeff Kenna wore it during a holiday there in 1996.*